Are you looking for a rewarding and meaningful volunteer experience that is as flexible and interesting as you are?
Food for Life volunteers drive, collect, pack, coordinate, weigh, lift, carry, load, deliver, fundraise, network, direct and help with special events and outreach.
If you have as little as an hour a week to share or if you are looking to take a more engaged or leadership role in helping neighbours struggling with hunger please connect with us.
If you are interested in group volunteering, please click here.
Types of Volunteers
Food for Life Program Volunteer
The Food for Life program located at 1180 Dorval Drive in Oakville is in need of volunteers to support the program. This program runs every Thursday from 5pm-7pm. Volunteers can commit to supporting this program once a week, or once a month. We would build a schedule to work with your schedule. As a program volunteer you are responsible for the following;
- Engage with residents, while handing out food to those living within the co-op.
- Sorting food is required.
Volunteer Driver Assistants
We are currently looking for on-call drivers and volunteer driver assistants. On-Call drivers must have a clean drivers abstract and friendly customer service skills. As a driver or assistant you are responsible for the following;
- Assist with loading and unloading food from vehicle
- Assist with packing or re-packing food in containers or bags
- Weighing containers of food
- The ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Good mobility so you are able to climb in and out of the truck.
- Hours will vary depending on the day of the week.
We offer student volunteer credit hours
Warehouse Assistant Volunteers
The warehouse volunteer positions are primarily available Monday through Friday from approximately 11:00 am – 5:00 pm. As a warehouse volunteer you would be responsible for;
- Prepping food deliveries for direct agency pick ups
- Preparing pallets for the drivers
- Consolidating pallets
- Sorting the food in the chiller and freezer
- Operating pump trucks and electric pallet mover (training is provided)
- General cleaning (sweeping, mopping, taking out garbage)
- Steel toe shoes are required for this position.
This volunteer role supports data collection around the annual HungerCount survey. The HungerCount is the only annual national study of food bank, soup kitchen, and other charitable food program use in Canada.
Volunteers will be present at various Food for Life sites throughout the month of March, helping to collect data weekly from those accessing food at our sites. Sites are located throughout Halton Region – Burlington, Oakville, Milton, Acton, and Georgetown. Volunteers will be asking participants questions and filling out the survey in order to understand the need within our community.
Turkey Drive Volunteer
Food for Life’s annual Turkey Drive is a December event where volunteers encourage shoppers to donate a turkey to Food for Life and help a hungry family this holiday season. We are looking for team leads and volunteers for the following shifts:
Saturday December 7, 2019
Sunday December 8, 2019
9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
12:45p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This opportunity is only available in December